Choosing a Toilet
Is it time to have your old bathroom toilet replaced with a new one? If you are in need of a new commode, there are a number of important factors that you may want to take into consideration. For instructions on How to install a toilet skip to the section below...
One factor to consider is the other remodeling that is being done. If you plan on remodeling the rest of your bathroom, you will want to pick a bathroom toilet that will match the rest of your soon to be remodeled bathroom. Having everything match, from the commode to the floor tiles, is one of the best ways to create an attractive looking bathroom.
Most standard model toilets come in white. If you are remodeling your bathroom on a budget, you may be able to benefit from the purchase of a standard model bathroom toilet. These are often known as being the most affordable of all bathroom toilet models.
You may also like a commode that is elegant or one of the water saving ones that are popular today. You can also find toilets that come in different colors to match your bathroom theme.
When choosing your new commode you should be concerned with it's appearance, but it also important to be concerned with the cost of one. As of this writing, although it is possible to purchase a standard commode for only a few hundred dollars, you need to keep additional costs in mind.
Since commodes are heavy you may need assistance getting it into your home. Depending on where you shop, you may be able to get free delivery, but other places may charge a small delivery fee. Also, if you need help with installation, you will need to keep those costs in mind.
As you can see, there is a lot of decision making that goes into choosing your bathroom toilet. Although it may take a little bit of research and time to find the perfect one, the results will be worth it.
Once you have chosen your commode you are now ready to install it. If you are the handy type and are up for a little challenge you can install it yourself. If you are not comfortable with this, simply hire a professional to do so. The instructions below are for removing your old and installing your new toilet using all the original plumbing.
Tools and supplies needed:
bolts, washers, etc.
Removal of old toilet:
1. Turn off the water supply line behind the toilet and disconnect the water supply line. Next, flush the toilet. You may also want to remove as much water as possible from the tank to make it lighter for removal.
2. Remove the nuts and washers from the toilet base and lift the toilet up and remove it. Then, remove the old wax from the flange on the floor and remove the old floor bolts from the flange.
Installation of new toilet:
1. Position the new floor bolts into the flange adjusting them in the correct position. You may use plumbers putty or some wax to hold the bolts into position. Then, turn the new toilet on its side and place the new wax gasket over the toilet horn on the bottom of the bowl.
2. Next, lower the new toilet into place onto the flange using the floor bolts as a guide. Position the toilet in the proper position and press down firmly with a slight twisting action to set the toilet into the wax securely. You may also set on the toilet to press it down. Install the washers and nuts onto the floor bolts and tighten them down securely. Do not over tighten. If your new toilet’s tank is not already attached, attach the tank following the manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Then, connect the water supply line to the new toilet and turn the water supply back on. Check for leaks and tighten nuts if necessary.
That completes your bath room toilet installation.