Restructuring the bathroom is a process that must be followed carefully to obtain the desired result. Here is a guide with all the steps of the work for its renovation.
The renovation works are always quite stressful, but are necessary to have a comfortable and functional environment, especially if it is the bathroom, one of the most intimate and important rooms of the house. If you are thinking of doing a makeover of the bathroom and you are wondering what are the various steps that will have to be performed during the work you can find out below.
Choose the right company for you
If you have decided to make a bathroom makeover, you will first need to choose the renovation company that will do the work. A tip is to get several quotes to choose the company that suits you best, both in the case of complete renovations, and for jobs without building interventions.
For an accurate estimate it is advisable to provide detailed information on the type of work to be performed:
- the size of the bathroom,
- any change in the layout of sanitary ware,
- the type of coatings,
- report if you want to make some changes (like replacing the tub with a shower or maybe replacing the present bathroom furniture with more modern solutions).
Once you have chosen the professionals who will take care of the work, you can move on to real restructuring.
The five stages of restructuring
The phases of bathroom renovation can be substantially summarized in five key steps:
- Demolition of the bathroom, which consists in removing sanitary ware, the floor, the screed and the coverings. The mason who will have to carry out this work, in addition to the actual demolition, will have to provide some traces that will be needed for when new pipes will be installed for the hydraulic and electrical systems. This operation is, of course, very noisy so if you live in a condominium it will be necessary to talk to the administrator to avoid any problems. As far as the rubble is concerned, the firm will be responsible for collecting and disposing of it correctly;
- Installation of the new plumbing and electrical system, this is a very delicate phase which must be very careful, for example a water leak could cause a lot of damage. To carry out the work, the plumber and the electrician must follow the traces indicated above. This phase is definitely not to be overlooked. In particular, replacing old plumbing with a more modern one will help you avoid future problems that may arise over time;
- Realization of a new screed and leveling of the surface. The screed is a layer of concrete that must contain the pipes in the new hydraulic system, this layer, on which the actual floor will subsequently be laid, must be perfectly leveled. In this phase the previously placed wall traces are also closed;
- Laying of coverings and floors. This operation can be performed once the screed is dry. At this point it is the task of the tiler to take care of the wall and floor coverings, and the part of the walls left free of the tiles and the ceiling must also be whitened. Obviously this phase should not be considered in the case of renovations without replacing the tiles ;
- Testing and positioning of sanitary ware. This phase again competes with the plumber who will install the new sanitary wares, faucet and shower enclosure and perform a test to check that everything is working properly. If there have been changes to the electrical system, the electrician will also have to carry out a final test.
With the final check the renovation of the bathroom can be considered concluded. With regards to timing,this type of renovation requires a minimum of 7-10 days, given that both the work and the drying of the materials have quite a long time.